Friday, May 9, 2014

The Dreaded Number on the Scale

I'm sure we all have a number that we hope to NEVER see on the scale. I have mine and I've exceeded it by almost 10 lbs. I come home from work, eat dinner, then plop on the couch with a book or in front of the TV. Then I wonder why do I keep gaining weight. Why aren't I losing it? I'm counting my calories and I've created that deficit of 3,500 calories per week (500 calories/day) to lose 1 lb./week, but I'm not seeing the results on the scale.

Two years ago I was running 30 minutes straight, then the weather got cold...I stopped running, not just outside, but completely. The 10 lbs. I lost since starting running in 2012, I put back on plus some extra. Last year, 2013, I tried getting back into running and failed. Why did I fail? I didn't make the time, I didn't set a goal, I didn't sign up for a 5K (something I've been saying I'm going to do and you can find evidence somewhere on this blog).

Recently on Facebook I've had friends posting things that have convicted me of my lack of running.

"I didn't have time" actually means, "it wasn't important enough."
-Seth Godin

Another friend put as his status: "Protip - prioritize your health before $/career. Seems so obvious but I see too few do so."

In addition to these comments, neither of which were directed at me, I've been reading a devotion from YouVersion titled, "God's Prescription for a Healthy Life"...I am on Day 10. Here is the description of the plan: "God wants you to get healthy in 2014! In this series of messages, Pastor Rick shares how to change your life - your health, the way you think, the goals you set, and the way you treat others - so that you can accomplish God's purpose for you and bring glory to him this year."

I also subscribed to Runner's World this year. I thought that might help motivate me and get me back into running.

I have run a couple of times this year, made it to week 2 at the end of March/beginning of April, then got busy and didn't make time for my runs. Today, I ran week 1 again. By June 21 I should be running 25 minutes straight.

Why do I mention June 21? Because that's the date of my first-ever 5K. My niece and her family are helping run the 5K and my great niece if most likely running this as her first 5K as well. If you want to learn more about this 5K, go here.

Now that I have a race to run, I should be sticking to my plan. So, thanks, Emily, for asking if I'd be able to run that race. Made me sign up and make it my first race. :)

So, to those negative thoughts I say, "Go away! Leave me alone! I'm doing this and you're not going to stop me!" To those times I'm going to mess up or miss a run, I'm not going to beat myself up about it, I'm just going to say "Oh well, tomorrow is a new day" and I'm going to start again. I'm not going to get discouraged and I'm not going to let that hold me back. I'm running this 5K and I'm going to run it as strong as I can!

To that dreaded number I see on the scale, soon you will be long gone and never seen again.

1 comment: